Small Business CEO
This book is for business owners who want to grow a business and learn essential business skills along the way.
It breaks down the entrepreneurial journey into four distinct stages of growth, to help give clarity and direction – and the right strategies – at each stage.
Small Business CEO is designed to remove the uncertainty over what to do when, to help business owners tackle the challenges of growth.
Buy the book here:
Here is a sample of the book’s content:
- Making the Shift to CEO – includes the key differences between a CEO focus and business owner approach and why a shift in perspective is important; outlines the four stages of growth
- Business Models and Scalability – outlines different business models and key considerations for each in terms of making money, scaling up and marketing.
- Stage 1 – Foundation. This chapter explains what a Stage 1 business is, the typical challenges facing these businesses, and they key strategies to focus on in Foundation. At this stage, business owners often struggle to find the right strategies to grow their business, and are constantly derailed by ‘bright shiny object syndrome’, shifting from one idea to the next trying to get a foothold with their marketing. There are examples throughout to provide more indepth understanding of what strategies work well and what doesn’t work in a Foundation business.
- Stage 2 – Build Structure. This is a very challenging stage for many businesses as they grow in size and complexity, stretching the capacity of the business owner. This chapter details these challenges, & identifies what are the keys to success in Stage 2.
- Stage 3 – Business Expansion. What does a company in this stage look like? What are the big challenges? What are the keys to success in navigating through this stage? The answers to these questions are all in this chapter!
- Stage 4 – Optimise Value. Thinking about selling your business one day? You’ve spent years working hard to build a successful company so now is the time to optimise the value you’ve built up in this asset. The key success factors at this stage are critical for your future!
- Staying on Track. This chapter provides some useful management tools and strategies to keep you on track as your business grows.
Jenny Stilwell is an authority on creating the right strategy and structure for small businesses to grow and thrive. Having built her own consulting practices, and had CEO roles leading small and medium sized companies herself, including a publicly listed company, she understands the challenges involved with growing pains and managing expansion.
Jenny has mentored hundreds of business owners through her advice, programs and resources and has the credentials to help you successfully navigate different challenges through the four stages of growth.
"Jenny was invited to present to a women in leadership networking group and it was a great success. Her insights and stories generated a lot of engagement, with the Q&A lasting almost as long as Jenny’s talk! She has so much depth of experience in businesses of all sizes and types, and she has some really valuable lessons that we all learned from. And she gave us all a free copy of her book at the end, which was fantastic!"
“The most difficult aspect of running your business, and growing it, is to work on the business rather than in it. Jenny has been great in giving me this focus. Don’t just sit back – make it happen.”
“Following the merger of our business, the partners appointed Jenny to undertake a comprehensive strategic review of the business.
Jenny’s review was extremely insightful. She had the ability to decipher the key issues that required attention. We have been operating the business based on her recommendations and system improvements and have been pleased with the efficiencies and improvements that have been generated.”
“I'd been working so much in the business that it was like a breath of fresh air to have Jenny help us map out our business strategy for the next 12 months. Not only did we come away inspired and reinvigorated, but we had our own blueprint for moving forward. It was so well worth the investment. She is definitely an expert at identifying how to discard the fruitless elements of your business and hones in on what will bring you results, as well as personal and business satisfaction.
Jenny's skill set is amazing - she understands all aspects of the business model from HR to marketing to finance, and, she's a great facilitator.”
“It is common for CEOs to get bogged down so they can no longer see the specific needs of their business objectively. They are so busy running the business on a day-to-day level that they can’t grasp the bigger picture.
Jenny has an objective perspective of what is required within a business, and provides the map and tools needed to navigate to a destination. She acts as a guide and support, helping you to overcome obstacles and pull your business together so you can confidently plan a future.”
“After establishing a better structure for the company, Jenny then assisted us with strategy for an acquisition. She has diverse expertise and service offerings and I can call on her when new needs arise, totally confident in her skills and experience.
Every company should allow itself the benefits of seeking an objective viewpoint. This is of real value to me. With great insight Jenny assesses your business and creates a strategy and structure that suits your most specific needs. I have recommended Jenny to a number of my contacts with great success.”
“Jenny’s experience in the IT and telecommunications industry, combined with her depth of business expertise, means she brings a pragmatic approach to technology. She strips away the ‘tech’ to focus on business applications and strategic advantage. She lets the technical experts drive the technology, while she helps them focus on growing their business and the challenges they need to deal with.”
“As a client of Jenny’s, I experienced great results and great service - she understands the beauty and personal care market in which we operate, and always delivered. And she is a pleasure to work with. I highly recommend that anyone needing business strategy and advisory services work with Jenny.”
“Jenny has provided our company and management with strategic plans, brilliant guidance and support to ensure that we have stayed on track and achieved our expected growth year on year. She is a star.”
“We were always too busy working in the business, and it was only the introduction of Jenny’s master strategy that gave us a structured approach to working on the business and the outcomes have been outstanding.
Sales were up 36% on the previous year, EBIT grew by approx. 44%, we’ve grown our cash position, and find ourselves in a great position to fund the next growth spurt.
When I’m at work, it’s more about creativity than problem solving.
In summary, thank you…without the plan, the encouragement and the follow-up we’d still be up to our neck in quicksand!!!”
"Thank you Jenny for being such a great guest speaker! A couple of my colleagues who were there mentioned how much they had enjoyed the evening and liked the way you ended with the survival 'dot points' - we all felt we could do with those survival tips!! Might you be able to send a summary of the 'dot points' to help us in our work and life generally? I must say I was extremely pleased with the evening - there was warmth in the room and I think that was all thanks to you and your presentation. It was good to have so many questions and in particular from the younger ones - your advice to them I thought was fantastic and I am sure will be followed up."
“I had the pleasure of working with Jenny in her role as CEO of one of our service providers. During that time we established a strong working relationship that added considerable value to our business and the Revlon brand, and the occasional lunch made doing business even that much more enjoyable!”
“It was time to get moving and get serious. With guidance and assistance from Jenny I have been able to successfully grow this business from four employees to fifteen. I particularly needed structure in my business and a solid foundation on which to grow.
Jenny initially provided a comprehensive strategy, then restructured the business with a view to moving forward and expanding. She provided continued consulting support which gave me confidence and peace of mind.”